It doesn’t matter if you are playing at one of the fancy casinos in Las Vegas or if your favourite online site each follows the same rules. Below is an easy-to-follow guide on how to play online roulette which is still a popular option with many players.
- First, you need to place your bet. If you are playing at an online casino, select your chip size. Then place your chips on the type of bet you would like to make.
- Next, you need to hit the “Spin” button. With online roulette, unlike land-based casinos, there’s no time limit. Once you hit the “Spin” button, it will release the ball into the virtual wheel.
- The virtual roulette wheel will stop, and then the ball will settle into a pocket. All outcomes of video roulette are determined by a Random Number Generator (RNG).
- If you are lucky, you will receive a payout. The next round starts after the result.
The roulette wheel is numbered from zero to thirty-six. European roulette wheels have eighteen red pockets and the same number of black pockets. They also have a single green zero (0). American roulette wheels are the same, except for one difference, they have a double zero (00).
The numbers don’t run in order around the wheel, as the sequence was designed to balance odd, even, high and low numbers. The American and European wheels are a little different from each other too.
The most common roulette game online is European roulette. It has thirty-seven pockets from zero to thirty-six. The single zero gives the casino the house edge of 2.7%.
American roulette has a double zero added to the wheel (38 pockets). The extra pocket does not change the rules, but it does give the online casino a higher house edge (5.26%).
Most roulette bets are divided into two main categories, inside and outside. There are six different kinds of inside bets.
- Straight-up bets – betting on a single number by placing a chip on top of that number. This bet pays out 35:1.
- Split bets – betting on any two numbers adjacent on the roulette board. You can make this bet by placing chips on the line between those two numbers. This bet pays out 17:1.
- Street bets – betting on any row of three numbers on the roulette table. You can make this bet by placing your chips on the edge of that row. This bet pays 11:1.
- Corner or Square bets – betting on a square of four numbers on the roulette board. You can make this bet by placing chips on the point shared by the four numbers. This bet pays 8:1.
- Six-line bet – betting on two adjacent lines of three numbers each. This bet pays 5:1.
- Top line bet – This bet is for American roulette. This bet is made on the five numbers “0-00-1-2-3 and pays 6:1.