So you want to set up a second Instagram account in addition to your existing one?
There are many reasons why you may want a second Instagram account. And the fact of the matter is that many people do. In that sense, I’ve already answered your question to if you can set up a second Instagram account. But how do you do it?
In this article, I’ll teach you how to set up a second Instagram account step-by-step, what it means, and how you manage your accounts.
Why manage several Instagram accounts
Many people have a second Instagram account. In fact, many users have a third, fourth, and even a fifth Instagram account.
Most often, people have a second Instagram account because the accounts are used for different purposes. Often times, people have one public account where they share posts about their life, but then they also have a private Instagram account which only their closest friends follow.
Furthermore, people may also manage the accounts belonging to their business, and so on.
But in order to set up a second Instagram account, you first need to create the account first, and if you’ve already tried, you’ve probably discovered that you cannot create a new Instagram account using the same email address that you’ve already used for creating your first Instagram account.
How to set up a second Instagram account
Whether you’d like to set up a second Instagram account, a third, a fourth, or a fifth, the formula and step-by-step process is the same.
You can create a second Instagram account with a different email address or phone number, but you cannot create one with an already used phone number or email.
There is no limit on how many accounts you can create on Instagram, however, there is a limit to how many accounts you can create from a single device. Depending on which device etc, you cannot create more than 3-5 new Instagram accounts from a single device. As such, if you want to create more accounts than that, you will have to use another, new device to do so.
How to create an Instagram account from the app:
- Download the Instagram app for iOS from the App Store, Android from Google Play Store or Windows Phone from the Windows Phone Store.
- Once the app is installed, open it by pressing the Instagram icon.
- Press Join, then enter your email address and press “Next” or “Login with Facebook “if you want to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you register by email, you create a username and password, fill in your profile information and press Done. If you register with Facebook, you are prompted to log into your Facebook account if you are logged out.
How to create an Instagram account from your computer
- Go to instagram.com.
- Enter your email address, create a username and password and click Log in with Facebook to sign up with your Facebook account.
- If you sign up with an email address, click on the Register. If you register with Facebook, you are prompted to log into your Facebook account if you are logged out.
- Keep in mind that if you register by mail, you should enter your e-mail address correct and select an email address that only you have access to. If you log out and forget your password, you must be able to access e-mail to get access to the Instagram account again. Learn more about how you can protect your account.
To answer the question of whether or not you can create a second Instagram account, Yes.
How to create a second Instagram account: method 2
If you’re already logged in to an Instagram account, you can create a second account by using a slightly different approach.
How to create a second Instagram account which automatically gives you access to your multiple Instagram accounts:
- Open the Instagram app and go to your profile
- Tap the gear icon in the upper right corner to open Instagram settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom.
- Tap Add Account.
- Tap ”Sign up” at the bottom of the page.
- Now, you’ll have the option to use Facebook for sign-up or you can select to Sign Up With Phone or Email. Do note that if you are already using Facebook for your primary account, you cannot use your Facebook account to sign up again.
- Now, enter your Phone or Email. If you’ve already created an account with your email or phone, you have to use the other. The best part is that since Instagram offers three ways to create an Instagram account (Phone, Facebook, phone number), you can create three accounts before you have to take new approaches to create a fourth account.
- If you’ve used your email address you need to confirm your Instagram account later by opening the email that Instagram sends you and confirming it.
- If you sign up using your phone number, you’ll instead get a verification number which you’ll have to verify.
How Many Instagram Accounts Can You Have?
It’s good to note that two is not the limit of Instagram accounts you can create or manage simultaneously. Instagram allows you to manage up to five accounts with the help of its ”multiple accounts feature” with which you log in to each account, and then have the ability to effortlessly switch between the accounts. The catch, however, is that you’ll need separate emails for each account that you create.
How to manage several Instagram accounts
As mentioned, with Instagram’s multiple accounts feature, you can effortlessly switch between up to five accounts. Before this update, if you had several accounts, you had to log out of the account you were logged in to, then log in to the other account. This was, of course, a lengthy process and time-consuming process which annoyed everyone who had multiple accounts.
To switch between Instagram accounts
- From your Instagram profile, tap your username at the top.
- This will present a dropdown list of all your Instagram accounts.
- Tap on the account you want to switch to.
How to Remove an Instagram Account from your list of multiple accounts
- Go to Instagram and switch to the account you want to remove.
- Tap the gear icon in your profile.
- Scroll down and tap Log Out of (Username)
How do I set up a second Instagram account with the same email address?
If you want to set up a second Instagram account using your email, but you’ve already used your email the first time, you cannot, in theory, use the same email again.
The good news is that there’s a hack that allows you to go around this – but only if you use Gmail.
If you do, you can set up a second Instagram account using the + trick or the dot trick.
When typing in the email to sign up to Instagram with, add a +whatever you’d like to the end of your email. If you do, the email will still till come to you.
As an example, email@example.com is the same as firstname.lastname@example.org This means that in Instagram’s eyes, it’s a different email address, but in reality, it’s not.
There are several reasons why you cannot have the same email address for multiple Instagram accounts:
- Instagram’s hacked account recovery process involves the use of the original sign up email.
- They want only one person to have one personal Instagram account.
- When Instagram sends important messages to you, it will avoid any confusion. If your password was changed and it wasn’t you, Instagram will send you a confirmation email, and then Instagram wants to get through your email.