Looking to block people on Twitter? Need to learn how to block people on Twitter first?
Struggling with Bots on Twitter who are leaving their unappreciated comments, or maybe stalker bothering you on Twitter?
No matter what, there are times, when you need to know how to block people on Twitter and then block them.
The good news is that blocking an account on Twitter is super easy and can be done in just a few steps.
The Twitter block feature gives you control and power to decide who should be able to access your account and see your posts. By blocking someone, you can restrict their access to your account, prevent them from contacting you, seeing your tweets, as well as following you. In terms of bots, Twitter is a social media platform which has had major issues with spammers and bots on the platform. As such, it’s not strange if you regularly meet bots on the platform that spam you and leave unwanted comments and messages.
There are many reasons why you might want to know how to block people on Twitter, and fortunately, that’s exactly what we’ll go through in this article, step-by-step.
Things you should know about blocking someone on Twitter: What happens when you block someone on Twitter?
When you have blocked someone on Twitter, they won’t be able to follow you. Also, when you have blocked an account, you won’t be able to follow them either.
If you block an account on Twitter which you are currently following, blocking them will lead to unfollowing that account (and them to unfollow you). If after you have blocked them you decide to unblock that account, you need to start to follow that account again if you want to follow them, and they need to do the same.
If you block someone on Twitter, you won’t receive any notifications from them. Nor will you get notifications from accounts that you don’t follow who mention you in conversations which have originally been started by the account you have blocked.
If you block someone and that account reports your account, your Tweets that directly mention them will be available for them to view, and they will also be able to attach them during the process of reporting.
When you block someone on Twitter, you will see notifications from accounts you follow – when your account is mentioned in a conversation that was started by an account you blocked.
Do note that blocking on Twitter only works if the account you’ve blocked is logged in on Twitter. Obviously, you cannot block someone who isn’t even logged in to the platform because they simply don’t have an account. This also means that even if you block an account, they will still be able to see your posts by either using Twitter not logged in or using a different account (unless your account is set to private).
If you have blocked an account on Twitter, this is what happens:
- The account won’t be able to follow you
- The account won’t be able to view your Tweets when logged in on Twitter (unless they report you, and you mention them in your tweets (as talked about earlier).
- Find your Tweets in search when logged in on Twitter
- The account can’t send Direct Messages to you
- The account can’t view your following or followers lists, likes or lists.
- The account can’t view a Moment you’ve created when logged in on Twitter
- The account can’t add your Twitter account to their lists
- The account can’t tag you in a photo
Do people get a notification when I block them on Twitter?
This is one of the most commonly asked questions when it comes to blocking people on Twitter.
The answer is that no if you block someone on Twitter, they won’t get a notification saying that their account has been blocked. However, if the account you’ve blocked visits your account, they will be able to see they have been blocked. This, of course, demands them to actually visit your account.
How to block people on Twitter
If you want to block an account on Twitter account while looking at tweets of theirs, you can do so.
- Tap the icon located at the top of a Tweet that has been shared by the account you wish to block.
- Tap Block, and then select Block to confirm.
To block people on Twitter from their profile
If you are at the profile of the account you wish to block on Twitter, complete the following steps:
- Visit the profile of the account you wish to block.
- Tap the gear icon
- Now, tap Block
- Select Block to confirm.
How do I know if I have blocked someone on Twitter?
If you are unsure whether or not you have blocked someone on Twitter, there’s an easy way to find out.
To see if you have blocked an account on Twitter, visit the account. If you have blocked them, the Follow button will be replaced by a Blocked button.
Also, the Tweets of an account you have blocked are hidden when you visit their profile. However, if you click ”Yes, view profile button”, you can see their Tweets.
To unblock a Twitter account
If you regret blocking someone on Twitter and want to make it undone, you can do so. TO unblock someone on Twitter, complete the following 3 steps.
- Visit the profile of the account you’ve blocked.
- Click the Blocked button.
- Now, confirm you wish to unblock the account by selecting Unblock (if you use iOS) and Yes if you use Android.
How to block people on Twitter: advanced block options
If you want to manage the accounts you’ve blocked, Twitter makes it easy to do so. On Twitter.com, you can access your list of blocked accounts, as well as on the twitter for iOS and Android apps.
Here, you’ll also be able to find a number of advanced options related to the accounts you’ve blocked on Twitter:
- The ability to export your list of blocked accounts to share it with someone
- The ability to import someone else’s list of blocked accounts
- The ability to manage your list of imported blocked accounts separately from your full list of blocked accounts
How to share your list of blocked accounts with others
If you want to share your list of blocked accounts with others, you can do so by exporting your list.
- To do this, go to your blocked account settings on twitter.com.
- At the very top of your list of blocked accounts, select All to export your full block list.
- Select ”Imported” in order to export the block list(s) you have imported.
- Select the Advanced options drop-down menu.
- Select Export your list.
- Select and confirm the accounts you wish to export.
- Lastly, click Export. Now, a .csv file will be downloaded to your computer. This will give you the ability to share the file with other Twitter users.
- Have in mind that if your list exceeds 5,0000 accounts, the list that you download will be split into multiple files.
Also, the export file includes an ID for each account on the list -not any other information about the accounts on the list.
How to import someone’s list of blocked accounts
The benefit of being able to import someone’s list of blocked accounts is that it gives you the ability to block the same list of accounts.
To import a block list, do the following:
- Ensure that the block list you receive is a .csv file.
- Save the file to your computer.
- Go to your blocked account settings on twitter.com.
- Select ”Advanced options” drop-down menu.
- Select Import a list.
- Now, select ”Attach a file to upload”.
- Find the .csv file. Click Open to import the list.
- The file name of which you have uploaded will be displayed once the file has been imported.
- Now, select Preview. Here, you’ll be able to view a list of the accounts will be displayed. You can uncheck the accounts you don’t wish to block. Also, accounts that you currently follow will be unchecked.
- Click Block to confirm.
- The imported accounts will be added to your block list.
How to manage your block list
To manage your list of blocked accounts on Twitter, follow these steps:
- Tap your profile icon in the top menu
- Select Settings and privacy.
- Select Privacy and safety.
- Right below Safety, tap Blocked accounts.
- If you want, you can unblock accounts by clicking the blocked icon. You can also do so by visiting their profile by tapping on their profile photo.
- If you have previously imported a list of blocked accounts, you’ll have the option to tap All or Imported blocked accounts.
How to Unfollow Someone on Twitter
If you don’t want to block someone on Twitter, but just want to stop seeing their tweets, unfollowing them is the best alternative.
By doing this, you can keep your follower, but stop seeing their posts.
When you’ve blocked someone on Twitter, the blocked account won’t be able to see your tweets on their timeline and you won’t be able to see theirs.
If you are a public account, they can still look your name up and see your tweets, so if you want total privacy you simply have to set your page to private.
If you regret your decision and want to unblock the account you have blocked, you can do so very easily.
Simply repeat step 1 that you executed when you blocked the person and then and tap “Blocked” and press it again so it says unblock.
Hopefully, you have now learned How to block people on Twitter but also how to unblock them. As always – if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to leave them below and I’ll answer them!