What Are Common Mistakes People Make on Social Media?
With a such a large platform as social media in general, there are loads of things to think of and things to avoid. In this article, we´ll therefore give you some answers on the question “What Are Common Mistakes People Make on Social Media?” so you can avoid doing them yourself.
There are tons of problems, below you can find a whole list of the most common problems that social media is the “founder of”.
- Over sharing
- Friending people you probably shouldn’t
- Not being aware of the implications of friends-of-friends when sharing personal information
- Posting to social media without knowing if you are sharing to public or friends of friends. (I’ve asked people why they posted intimate stuff for “world” and they actually didn’t have a clue. Worse, they really thought that only their friends could see stuff. Some places will remember the last sharing setting; if you change to “world” or “public” for one post, it sticks. People forget that.).
- Posting pictures with GPS coordinates in them. This allows stalkers to find exactly where you were when a picture was taken.
- Posting things you might regret that future employers will see
- Intending to send a private message but making it public
- Not realizing that sending a private message or photo is easily distributed by the recipient to anyone
- Not realizing it´s nearly impossible to delete something, really, once it’s posted
- Posting anything when you are obviously drunk or high
- Posting travel plans on social media-can result in burglary fr example
- Announcing your current location to strangers (corollary:letting people know you are not at home)
- Letting the world know you are home alone. (Extra credit if you announce you are home alone and nearly passed out drunk)
- Bragging about illegal activities
- Stalking exes or obsessing over current partner’s every keystroke
- Reading or posting while driving
As you can see, there are loads of problems you might face when using social media. However, it may seem right now as if social media only have disadvantages, this is not true. Social media is the future of connecting, marketing and chatting and it has always seemed as if the advantages were greater than the disadvantages.