Violation of wiring integrity behind walls, ceilings, or floors can leave residents devoid of the basic amenity. To amend a broken wire inside a layer of finished material, you need to first understand the ways to detect such issues and then think about fixing to restore the power supply.
However, it is quite difficult to detect a broken wire behind a finished layer of material without the right tool and guide supply. Additionally, it is extremely dangerous; therefore, you must be more cautious while handling broken wires. Remember, even the slightest mistake could affect you by electric shock.
So, if you are someone who is stuck with an electrical wiring problem? Do not worry anymore! We have curated the right ways and tools to detect and resolve a broken wire to restore a lost power supply.
Some of the clear signs of a broken wire behind a finished layer of material include:
- Fuses blow,
- The switch feels warm,
- Frequent tripping of circuit breakers, and
- Prominent burning smell from a specific outlet.
The damage to the hidden electric wires can be due to several factors such as:
- Long-term cable operation: Undoubtedly, the electric wiring functions smoothly for many years, but after rigorous and long-term cable operations, it starts to break down.
- Mechanical damage: When you are unaware of the electrical layout of the space, and you start drilling or even driving nails in walls, there are higher risks of breaking the wiring or, often, a short circuit.
- Poorly executed wiring installation: Defective or poorly executed wiring often leads to continuous heat up of the electric wires, which ultimately can give rise to fatal results.
- Incorrect usage of adapters: Break-in electric wires can even result from improper usage of extension cords or adapters. Most often, when you connect different high-power household appliances like washing machines and dishwashers to the same device.
If you are uncertain about which tool to use, we have a quick guide on the functioning of the popular methods:
1. Inspection camera
It comes with a flexible pipe with a tiny camera on one of the ends. This tool can go inside the walls through a minute hole. Thus, it is a time-saving method to provide you with much-needed insights into the broken wires.
It is helpful when you know the approximate place. However, the exact spot is still doubtful. All you have to do is drill a hole and insert the inspection camera inside the wall.
2. Magnetic or electronic stud finder
When any driven nail in the wall is the culprit, a magnetic stud finder is your savior. A magnet attracts metals. Therefore, a strong attraction is the revelation of broken wiring.
The electronic stud finder can save you a lot of time by detecting broken wires and metals.
3. Tone and probe kits
When there are several tangled wires, however, only one of them is damaged. All you need is a tone and probe kit. Then connect one end of the wire to the kit to check and verify if the wire has an electric current or not.
4. Find professional equipment.
There is a range of specialized professional equipment which allows you to trace the wire cable and the specific spot where the damaged wire is situated.
For instance, devices such as Noyafa NF-816L Invisible Wire Locator are easy to use and give accurate results by locating hidden wiring behind walls, ceilings, or floors in no time.
However, you must work with them attentively and cautiously to prevent mishaps.
It is possible to trace a hidden broken wall when you have the electrical wiring blueprint handy. In such a case, you only require a circuit tester to locate the damaged wiring.
When you want to find a hidden broken wire yourself, take the help of the latest tool and techniques to restore the problem in no time. However, keep in mind that it can be risky. You can end up more damage to the electric wiring than any good. So, sometimes it might be the best decision to seek the support of a professional.